I pause for a moment
and think of the love and the grace
that God showers on me,
creating me in his image and likeness,
making me his temple....
Daily Prayer - 2021-10-13
I pause for a moment
Guide me always to do your holy will
knowing that your strength will
carry me through.
I exist in a web of relationships - links to nature, people, God.
I trace out these links, giving thanks for the life that flows through them.
Some links are twisted or broken: I may feel regret, anger, disappointment.
I pray for the gift of acceptance and forgiveness.
'But woe to you Pharisees! For you tithe mint and rue and herbs of all kinds, and neglect justice and the love of God; it is these you ought to have practised, without neglecting the others. Woe to you Pharisees! For you love to have the seat of honour in the synagogues and to be greeted with respect in the market-places. Woe to you! For you are like unmarked graves, and people walk over them without realizing it.'
One of the lawyers answered him, 'Teacher, when you say these things, you insult us too.' And he said, 'Woe also to you lawyers! For you load people with burdens hard to bear, and you yourselves do not lift a finger to ease them.
Some thoughts on today's scripture
- Jesus was a teacher of the truth, who recognised the guidelines that existed, but he was not confined by them. He wanted to get to what was behind them, what they served.
- Self-importance and drawing attention to oneself was alien to his way, which was one of self-giving. Lord, bring us to the deeper truth of who you are that we may honour and serve you in all we do.
- Roles can take on undue importance. The size of your wage-packet, the number of positions you hold can distract from the deeper truth that Jesus taught. May we have the heart and generosity of the widow at the treasury (Luke 21) to give as Jesus did and to be a support to others in the burdens they carry. We pray to Jesus who set out to lighten burdens, not impose them (Matt 11:28-30).
Dear Lord, stay by my side always.
Gain for me a trusting heart.
Thank you for loving me.
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit,
As it was in the beginning,
is now and ever shall be,
world without end.
If you appreciated the daily prayer or have any suggestions or insights we will be glad to hear from you.
- Sacred Space
- Return to the homepage
- Living Space
- Commentaries on the daily readings
- Chapel of Intentions
- Add your Prayer Request and pray for others
- Chapel of Remembrance
- Your prayer for the departed
- Pray with the Pope
- This month's intentions from the Pope's Worldwide Prayer Network
- Let us know what you think about Sacred Space•
- About Sacred Space
- The origin of the site and using the prayer
- Frequently asked Questions about Sacred Space