I pause for a moment
and think of the love and the grace
that God showers on me,
creating me in his image and likeness,
making me his temple....
Daily Prayer - 2021-01-23
I pause for a moment
Lord, grant me the grace to be free from the excesses of this life.
Let me not get caught up with the desire for wealth.
Keep my heart and mind free to love and serve you.
My soul longs for your presence, Lord.
When I turn my thoughts to you,
I find peace and contentment.
The crowd came together again, so that they could not even eat. When the family of Jesus heard it, they went out to restrain him, for people were saying, "He has gone out of his mind."
Some thoughts on today's scripture
- Jesus tells me that he is going home to relax in the company of those who know him best. I gladly go with him, but the visit turns out to be a disaster. Later when he says to a would-be follower that he has nowhere to lay his head, I realize the deep meaning of those words: he is rejected by those he had hoped to rely on. I ask that I may never refuse him, and he smiles his special smile and thanks me.
- I see that Jesus is an embarrassment to his relatives: their quiet lives are being shattered by the crowds; perhaps too they know that the religious leaders are scheming against him and that they themselves may suffer in consequence.
- Jesus, I too may become an embarrassment to friends--for example by protesting against some injustice. St ignatius talks about the need for ‘courage in difficult enterprises’. Please give me that gift.
Jesus often asked questions of those who came to him.
Let me sense him close to me now,
Listening to my prayer and asking
‘How can I help you?’
‘What can I give you?’
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit,
As it was in the beginning,
is now and ever shall be,
world without end.
If you appreciated the daily prayer or have any suggestions or insights we will be glad to hear from you.
- Sacred Space
- Return to the homepage
- Living Space
- Commentaries on the daily readings
- Chapel of Intentions
- Add your Prayer Request and pray for others
- Chapel of Remembrance
- Your prayer for the departed
- Pray with the Pope
- This month's intentions from the Pope's Worldwide Prayer Network
- Let us know what you think about Sacred Space•
- Making Good Decisions
- Easy to follow eight-step video guide to making good decisions.
- About Sacred Space
- The origin of the site and using the prayer
- Frequently asked Questions about Sacred Space