Lord, when I am feeling lonely,
remind me of your promise,
“You are never alone,
I am with you always,
Yes, to the end of time”.
Daily Prayer - 2020-09-21
Lord, when I am feeling lonely,
God is not foreign to my freedom.
Instead the Spirit breathes life into my most intimate desires,
gently nudging me towards all that is good.
I ask for the grace to let myself be enfolded by the Spirit.
Help me Lord to be more conscious of your presence.
Teach me to recognise your presence in others.
Fill my heart with gratitude for the times Your love has been shown to me through the care of others.
As Jesus was walking along, he saw a man called Matthew sitting at the tax booth; and he said to him, "Follow me." And he got up and followed him. And as he sat at dinner in the house, many tax collectors and sinners came and were sitting with him and his disciples. When the Pharisees saw this, they said to his disciples, "Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?" But when he heard this, he said, "Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. Go and learn what this means, 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' For I have come to call not the righteous but sinners."
Some thoughts on today's scripture
- St. Matthew, Apostle and Evangelist We celebrate the feast of two in one as biblical scholarship now accepts that the evangelist and apostle are distinct persons. The painting by Caravaggio of the call of Matthew in the Conarelli Chapel, San Luigi del Francesi, Rome, brilliantly and enigmatically captures the call. However, the gospel account gives pride of place to the aftermath; one of the many disputes between Jesus and the pharisees.
- In our prayer we could combine the call and the dispute in one prayer that we may be prompt and diligent to follow Christ’s call and to deepen our understanding that Christ came to call not condemn sinners.
- You might get a reproduction of the Caravaggio and put yourself into the scene and give a name and a role to each character, hear their response to Jesus, note Matthew’s reaction particularly and see the reaction of Jesus to what they were saying and note his satisfaction at Matthew’s response.
May your Holy Spirit guide me
In all my dealings with others.
May I use the gift of speech with kindness.
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit,
As it was in the beginning,
is now and ever shall be,
world without end.
If you appreciated the daily prayer or have any suggestions or insights we will be glad to hear from you.
- Sacred Space
- Return to the homepage
- Living Space
- Commentaries on the daily readings
- Chapel of Intentions
- Add your Prayer Request and pray for others
- Chapel of Remembrance
- Your prayer for the departed
- Pray with the Pope
- This month's intentions from the Pope's Worldwide Prayer Network
- Add your comment and view the feedback of others about Sacred Space
- Novena to the Sacred Heart
- Text and audio for nine days
- About Sacred Space
- The origin of the site and using the prayer
- Frequently asked Questions about Sacred Space
- Contact us
- Let us know what you think about Sacred Space