Lord, you are always there
waiting for me.
May I never be too busy to
find time to spend in your presence.
Daily Prayer - 2019-07-12
Lord, you are always there
It is so easy to get caught up
with the trappings of wealth in this life.
Grant, O Lord, that I may be free
from greed and selfishness.
Remind me that the best things in life are free.
Love, laughter, caring and sharing.
Where do I sense hope, encouragement, and growth areas in my life?
By looking back over the last few months, I may be able to see which activities and occasions have produced rich fruit.
If I do notice such areas, I will determine to give those areas both time and space in the future.
'See, I am sending you out like sheep into the midst of wolves; so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves. Beware of them, for they will hand you over to councils and flog you in their synagogues; and you will be dragged before governors and kings because of me, as a testimony to them and the Gentiles. When they hand you over, do not worry about how you are to speak or what you are to say; for what you are to say will be given to you at that time; for it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you. Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child, and children will rise against parents and have them put to death; and you will be hated by all because of my name. But the one who endures to the end will be saved. When they persecute you in one town, flee to the next; for truly I tell you, you will not have gone through all the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes.
Some thoughts on today's scripture
- There is going to be a clear interval of time ‘before the Son of Man comes’ back. But the followers of Jesus will not be entirely on their own. They will be able to rely on the power of the Holy Spirit – sent by the Father – no matter what troubles come. (As Jesus ended his years on earth, he promised that “they will pick up serpents, and if they drink any deadly thing, it will not hurt them”).
- The disciples will be ‘up against it’ when persecution comes their way; and – like Saint Paul – they will want to give a convincing account of the belief on which they have based their lives. In this predicament particularly, they should rely on the Holy Spirit to be their ‘advocate’ (one of the Bible words used to describe the Spirit’s activity). But here the saying of Saint Francis of Assisi could apply : You are always to preach – if necessary, through words (!) : the readiness to give their lives for Jesus, could well be ‘witness’ enough in itself.
- And Jesus well knows that hostility, or lack of support, could happen even within one’s intimate circle : he himself was betrayed by one of his own.
Dear Jesus, I can open up my heart to you.
I can tell you everything that troubles me.
I know you care about all the concerns in my life.
Teach me to live in the knowledge
that you who care for me today,
will care for me tomorrow and all the days of my life.
I thank God for these few moments we have spent alone together and for any insights I may have been given concerning the text.
If you appreciated the daily prayer or have any suggestions or insights we will be glad to hear from you.
- Sacred Space
- Return to the homepage
- Living Space
- Commentaries on the daily readings
- Chapel of Intentions
- Add your Prayer Request and pray for others
- Chapel of Remembrance
- Your prayer for the departed
- Pray with the Pope
- This month's intentions from the Pope's Worldwide Prayer Network
- Add your comment and view the feedback of others about Sacred Space
- Novena to the Sacred Heart
- Text and audio for nine days
- About Sacred Space
- The origin of the site and using the prayer
- Frequently asked Questions about Sacred Space
- Contact us
- Let us know what you think about Sacred Space