God is with me, but more,
God is within me, giving me existence.
Let me dwell for a moment on God's life-giving presence
in my body, my mind, my heart
and in the whole of my life.
Daily Prayer - 2019-05-19
God is with me, but more,
Lord, too often I think I am the one in control of my life.
Help me to see that I am powerless over so much.
I ask for the grace to be able to hand over my life to you
And experience the joy of that freedom.
I am surrounded by your loving presence, Lord,
But I am aware of my fragility and weakness.
Thank you that I can face my shortcomings
In your merciful embrace.
When he had gone out, Jesus said, ‘Now the Son of Man has been glorified, and God has been glorified in him. If God has been glorified in him, God will also glorify him in himself and will glorify him at once. Little children, I am with you only a little longer. You will look for me; and as I said to the Jews so now I say to you, “Where I am going, you cannot come.” I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.
Some thoughts on today's scripture
- When Judas steps out of the room, John states simply: 'And it was night'. The moment of darkness, of refusal of the Light, has arrived. Judas is presented as one of those who prefers the dark. And yet this hour is also the moment of glory, when we see the light of Christ in all its radiance.
- It is moving to look back on this incident during our Easter celebrations of fire and light. It is as if we are looking back on the struggle, when darkness looked as if would extinguish the light. We are in bright morning, looking back with gratitude that an anxious, sleepless night is over.
- And at this moment of betrayal, of Jesus' anguish that one of his chosen companions has turned away from him, that we are given a 'new commandment'. We might wonder about the tensions and the divisions within the community of the fourth gospel. Why do they need to be told and reminded- repeatedly! - to 'love one another'?
Dear Lord, stay by my side always.
Gain for me a trusting heart.
Thank you for loving me.
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit,
As it was in the beginning,
is now and ever shall be,
world without end.
If you appreciated the daily prayer or have any suggestions or insights we will be glad to hear from you.
- Sacred Space
- Return to the homepage
- Living Space
- Commentaries on the daily readings
- Chapel of Intentions
- Add your Prayer Request and pray for others
- Chapel of Remembrance
- Your prayer for the departed
- Pray with the Pope
- This month's intentions from the Pope's Worldwide Prayer Network
- Add your comment and view the feedback of others about Sacred Space
- Novena to the Sacred Heart
- Text and audio for nine days
- About Sacred Space
- The origin of the site and using the prayer
- Frequently asked Questions about Sacred Space
- Contact us
- Let us know what you think about Sacred Space