Lord, you are always there
waiting for me.
May I never be too busy to
find time to spend in your presence.
Daily Prayer - 2019-05-15
Lord, you are always there
Lord, you created me to live in freedom.
Mostly I take this gift for granted.
Inspire me to live in the freedom you intended,
with a heart untroubled and with complete trust in you.
Where do I sense hope, encouragement, and growth areas in my life? By looking back over the last few months, I may be able to see which activities and occasions have produced rich fruit. If I do notice such areas, I will determine to give those areas both time and space in the future.
Jesus cried aloud, 'Whoever believes in me believes not in me but in him who sent me. And whoever sees me sees him who sent me. I have come as light into the world, so that everyone who believes in me should not remain in the darkness. I do not judge anyone who hears my words and does not keep them, for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world. The one who rejects me and does not receive my word has a judge; on the last day the word that I have spoken will serve as judge, for I have not spoken on my own, but the Father who sent me has himself given me a commandment about what to say and what to speak. And I know that his commandment is eternal life. What I speak, therefore, I speak just as the Father has told me.'
Some thoughts on today's scripture
- Light and darkness; sight and blindness; action and inaction. Many times in the gospel of John, we find references to these pairs of opposites. Those who accept the light- Jesus, are able to 'see' clearly, to understand. Without light, in total darkness, no-one can do anything. They mystery, then, is why anyone would choose to remain in darkness? Why would anyone choose to be blind?
- This passage is a summary statement which comes at the end of Jesus's public ministry. So it sums up everything Jesus has been doing and saying in public. It speaks therefore of listening to the words of Jesus and acting upon them. His words are important, because they are first of all the Father's words. Jesus is so closely connected to his message that in fact he is referred to in this gospel as the Word.
- There is a link between the term 'to keep my word' and Matthew's phrase 'to do my words'. What are the words which require action? We 'keep' commandments, and we make and keep promises and vows. These are words of power, the words which shape our lives.
Dear Jesus, I can open up my heart to you.
I can tell you everything that troubles me.
I know you care about all the concerns in my life.
Teach me to live in the knowledge
that you who care for me today,
will care for me tomorrow and all the days of my life.
I thank God for these few moments we have spent alone together and for any insights I may have been given concerning the text.
If you appreciated the daily prayer or have any suggestions or insights we will be glad to hear from you.
- Sacred Space
- Return to the homepage
- Living Space
- Commentaries on the daily readings
- Chapel of Intentions
- Add your Prayer Request and pray for others
- Chapel of Remembrance
- Your prayer for the departed
- Pray with the Pope
- This month's intentions from the Pope's Worldwide Prayer Network
- Add your comment and view the feedback of others about Sacred Space
- Novena to the Sacred Heart
- Text and audio for nine days
- About Sacred Space
- The origin of the site and using the prayer
- Frequently asked Questions about Sacred Space
- Contact us
- Let us know what you think about Sacred Space