Let my heart rejoice and be glad
in this time of prayer.
Remind me often of the great
blessings You have bestowed on me.
Daily Prayer - 2019-05-14
Let my heart rejoice and be glad
Lord you gave me life and the gift of freedom.
Through your love I exist in this world.
May I never take the gift of life for granted.
May I always respect the right to life of others.
In God's loving presence I unwind the past day,
starting from now and looking back, moment by moment.
I gather in all the goodness and light, in gratitude.
I attend to the shadows and what they say to me,
seeking healing, courage, forgiveness.
Jesus said to his disciples, "As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you; abide in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love. I have said these things to you so that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be complete. "This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. No one has greater love than this, to lay down one's life for one's friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. I do not call you servants any longer, because the servant does not know what the master is doing; but I have called you friends, because I have made known to you everything that I have heard from my Father. You did not choose me but I chose you. And I appointed you to go and bear fruit, fruit that will last, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask him in my name. I am giving you these commands so that you may love one another.
Some thoughts on today's scripture
- 'Remain in me … remain in my love'. Insofar as we act like Jesus, we share his life and remain in the Father. This is joy, a complete joy of the deepest mystical fulfilment.
- Jesus speaks of unity with himself and unity with the Father, before he is roughly taken away from his friends: he falls into the hands of the Roman authorities, who cast him into death. This terrible separation from Jesus brings about their separation from each other, as they run away. They do not 'remain'.
- 'Love one another'. Once again, we are left to wonder what is happening in John's community, that he has to insist on its members 'loving one another'? Are they so bitterly divided that they have to be constantly reminded of this basic instruction? The mystery of tension and rivalrous hatred, even within a community trying to be 'holy', is an ancient one.
- 'You are not servants any more, but friends.' This is so important, as Jesus tells us once again of our wonderful adoption by God: as sons, daughters, friends. The evening began with a gesture of service: the servant washes the feet. But now, as Jesus speaks and teaches us everything he knows, our status has changed.
Dear Lord, stay by my side always.
Gain for me a trusting heart.
Thank you for loving me.
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit,
As it was in the beginning,
is now and ever shall be,
world without end.
If you appreciated the daily prayer or have any suggestions or insights we will be glad to hear from you.
- Sacred Space
- Return to the homepage
- Living Space
- Commentaries on the daily readings
- Chapel of Intentions
- Add your Prayer Request and pray for others
- Chapel of Remembrance
- Your prayer for the departed
- Pray with the Pope
- This month's intentions from the Pope's Worldwide Prayer Network
- Add your comment and view the feedback of others about Sacred Space
- Novena to the Sacred Heart
- Text and audio for nine days
- About Sacred Space
- The origin of the site and using the prayer
- Frequently asked Questions about Sacred Space
- Contact us
- Let us know what you think about Sacred Space