Dear Lord help me to be open to you
for this time as I put aside the cares of this world.
Fill my thoughts with your peace, your love.
Daily Prayer - 2019-03-16
Dear Lord help me to be open to you
Many countries are at this moment suffering the agonies of war.
I bow my head in thanksgiving for my freedom.
I pray for all prisoners and captives.
I am surrounded by your loving presence, Lord,
But I am aware of my fragility and weakness.
Thank you that I can face my shortcomings
In your merciful embrace.
You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be children of your Father in heaven; for he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the righteous and on the unrighteous. For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet only your brothers and sisters, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
Some thoughts on today's scripture
- There are times, Lord, when you lift us beyond what we thought possible. Here you ask me to be perfect: meaning that in my heart I should bless even those who hate me and wrong me. The love of God can be poured out in our hearts through the Holy Spirit who is given to us. Even when I feel far from blessed myself, even when old age makes me feel there is little I can do for others, I can still give my approval and blessing to those I meet; that will lift them.
- As I think of those whose love I return, I thank God for them and for the blessings we share.
- As I pray for those who bring blessings to me, I pray that I may include others in a widening circle of compassion.
- If being like God seems too ambitious, I recall that Jesus wants nothing less for me. He calls me to the fullness of life.
- Inspired by the words of Jesus, I bring to mind those people I have learnt to distrust. I place them before God. If I can, I ask God to bless them; if I cannot, I ask for the grace I need to wish them well.
- I think of the people in my community and pray for them. I look beyond them and consider who else might also need my prayer and action for their good.
- Jesus was familiar with the human habit of comparison and complaint. As I hear his call to a wider vision, I ask for help to let go of what constricts me.
- The rain that God sends is a blessing for some and a burden to others. I ask God to help me to recognise this day how I am blessed and strengthened to offer blessings to others.
Dear Lord, help me each day
to seek your presence more and more.
Fill my heart with love for you.
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit,
As it was in the beginning,
is now and ever shall be,
world without end.
If you appreciated the daily prayer or have any suggestions or insights we will be glad to hear from you.
- Sacred Space
- Return to the homepage
- Living Space
- Commentaries on the daily readings
- Chapel of Intentions
- Add your Prayer Request and pray for others
- Chapel of Remembrance
- Your prayer for the departed
- Pray with the Pope
- This month's intentions from the Pope's Worldwide Prayer Network
- Add your comment and view the feedback of others about Sacred Space
- Novena to the Sacred Heart
- Text and audio for nine days
- About Sacred Space
- The origin of the site and using the prayer
- Frequently asked Questions about Sacred Space
- Contact us
- Let us know what you think about Sacred Space