The more we call on the Lord
the more we can feel his Presence.
Day by day he draws us closer
to his loving heart.
Daily Prayer - 2018-01-07
The more we call on the Lord
Lord God I thank you for the gift of freedom.
Help me to use this gift with integrity.
I am free to make choices.
Help me to choose to follow you,
to live in a Christian way by caring for others.
Remind me to consider always those less fortunate than myself,
the oppressed, the prisoner, those who are not free to worship in public.
Guide me always to seek your holy will in all the events of my life.
How wonderful it is to be able
to enter into your presence Lord.
No matter what time it is.
No matter which land I am in.
I need only to speak your name.
John proclaimed, "The one who is more powerful than I is coming after me; I am not worthy to stoop down and untie the thong of his sandals. I have baptised you with water; but he will baptise you with the Holy Spirit." In those days Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee and was baptised by John in the Jordan. And just as he was coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens torn apart and the Spirit descending like a dove on him. And a voice came from heaven, "You are my Son, the Beloved; with you I am well pleased."
Some thoughts on today's scripture
- Jesus’ baptism in the Jordan by John is a second epiphany. See him mingling with those Jews who have come to confess their sins, be baptised and receive forgiveness. Why would Jesus do this? Why identify with sinners? Does he need John’s baptism? Already there is here a manifestation of who Jesus is, and what he has come to do. John himself hints at it.
- The more dramatic revelation comes “from above”. First, the heavens are torn apart and the Holy Spirit descends on Jesus as he emerges from the water. This Spirit will remain with him throughout his public ministry and passion. Then a voice speaks from heaven, offering a commentary on what is happening: “You are my Son, the Beloved, with you I am well pleased”. We identify this voice as that of his Abba, his dear Father. Rest in this scene and allow yourself to be drawn into the embrace of the three persons of the Trinity. They are all participating in this baptismal ritual.
Jesus, You are always there waiting for me.
Sometimes I get bogged down
with the concerns of this life.
Grant that I may be still more often.
To know Your peace, Your calm.
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit,
As it was in the beginning,
is now and ever shall be,
world without end.
If you appreciated the daily prayer or have any suggestions or insights we will be glad to hear from you.
- Sacred Space
- Return to the homepage
- Living Space
- Commentaries on the daily readings
- Chapel of Intentions
- Add your Prayer Request and pray for others
- Chapel of Remembrance
- Your prayer for the departed
- Pray with the Pope
- This month's intentions from the Apostleship of Prayer
- What others thought about Sacred Space
- Novena to the Sacred Heart
- Text and audio for nine days
- About Sacred Space
- The origin of the site and using the prayer
- Frequently asked Questions about Sacred Space
- Contact us
- Let us know what you think about Sacred Space