I pause for a moment
and think of the love and the grace
that God showers on me,
creating me in his image and likeness,
making me his temple....
Daily Prayer - 2015-02-19
I pause for a moment
Thank you God for my freedom
May I use this gift to do what I can
for those who are oppressed or burdened.
Life is busy Lord
Often my best intentions are left undone.
But I know that you are with me in all I say and do,
And in everyone I meet with daily.
Jesus said to his disciples: "The Son of Man must undergo great suffering, and be rejected by the elders, chief priests, and scribes, and be killed, and on the third day be raised." Then he said to them all, "If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me. For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will save it. What does it profit them if they gain the whole world, but lose or forfeit themselves?
Some thoughts on today's scripture
- The most important thing about any suffering we experience is not how painful it is but how purifying. No one passes through this life without some suffering. Saint Teresa of Avila, universally regarded as one of the greatest of mystics saw suffering as a source of purification.
- She once wrote that God looks around to find where the greatest love is and there He sends the greatest suffering. And where did He find the greatest love? Surely in the One who described Himself as the Son of Man. Could the words of Lamentations apply more to anyone as much as to Jesus: “All you who pass this way, look and see: is there any sorrow like the sorrow inflicted on me?” (Lam 1:12).
- If we have had good health in life let us bow our heads in gratitude. It should also lead us to have great sympathy for those who have to carry the ongoing burden of painful suffering.
“Stay and watch with me.”
Your words, Lord, to the disciples
before your suffering and death.
I know, Lord, You will stay and watch over me
all the days of my life.
I thank God for these few moments we have spent alone together and for any insights I may have been given concerning the text.
If you appreciated the daily prayer or have any suggestions or insights we will be glad to hear from you.
- Sacred Space
- Return to the homepage
- Living Space
- Commentaries on the daily readings
- Chapel of Intentions
- Add your Prayer Request and pray for others
- Chapel of Remembrance
- Your prayer for the departed
- Pray with the Pope
- This month's intentions from the Pope's Worldwide Prayer Network
- Add your comment and view the feedback of others about Sacred Space
- Novena to the Sacred Heart
- Text and audio for nine days
- About Sacred Space
- The origin of the site and using the prayer
- Frequently asked Questions about Sacred Space
- Contact us
- Let us know what you think about Sacred Space