God is with me, but more,
God is within me, giving me existence.
Let me dwell for a moment on God's life-giving presence
in my body, my mind, my heart
and in the whole of my life.
Daily Prayer - 2015-01-05
God is with me, but more,
"In these days, God taught me
as a schoolteacher teaches a pupil" (Saint Ignatius).
I remind myself that there are things God has to teach me yet,
and ask for the grace to hear them and let them change me.
Knowing that God loves me unconditionally,
I can afford to be honest about how I am.
How has the last day been, and how do I feel now?
I share my feelings openly with the Lord.
The next day Jesus decided to go to Galilee. He found Philip and said to him, "Follow me." Now Philip was from Bethsaida, the city of Andrew and Peter. Philip found Nathanael and said to him, "We have found him about whom Moses in the law and also the prophets wrote, Jesus son of Joseph from Nazareth." Nathanael said to him, "Can anything good come out of Nazareth?" Philip said to him, "Come and see." When Jesus saw Nathanael coming toward him, he said of him, "Here is truly an Israelite in whom there is no deceit!" Nathanael asked him, "Where did you get to know me?" Jesus answered, "I saw you under the fig tree before Philip called you." Nathanael replied, "Rabbi, you are the Son of God! You are the King of Israel!" Jesus answered, "Do you believe because I told you that I saw you under the fig tree? You will see greater things than these." And he said to him, "Very truly, I tell you, you will see heaven opened and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of Man."
Some thoughts on today's scripture
- In this fast-moving narrative Jesus is moving to recruit suitable and willing companions to help establish the reign of God, a universal movement of men and women committed to compassion and self-giving love.
- Another enthusiastic “Come and see”” - this time from Philip, who overlooks Nathanael’s scornful remark about Nazareth. Jesus recognises Nathanael’s innate goodness and integrity. He promises him that he will see greater things, the fulfilment of the prophecies, the establishment of the reign of God over humanity.
- These are stories of my call to Christian discipleship. “Come and see.”, “Follow me.”
Dear Lord, stay by my side always.
Gain for me a trusting heart.
Thank you for loving me.
I thank God for these few moments we have spent alone together and for any insights I may have been given concerning the text.
If you appreciated the daily prayer or have any suggestions or insights we will be glad to hear from you.
- Sacred Space
- Return to the homepage
- Living Space
- Commentaries on the daily readings
- Chapel of Intentions
- Add your Prayer Request and pray for others
- Chapel of Remembrance
- Your prayer for the departed
- Pray with the Pope
- This month's intentions from the Pope's Worldwide Prayer Network
- Let us know what you think about Sacred Space•
- Making Good Decisions
- Easy to follow eight-step video guide to making good decisions.
- About Sacred Space
- The origin of the site and using the prayer
- Frequently asked Questions about Sacred Space