I pause for a moment
and reflect on God's life-giving presence
in every part of my body, in everything around me,
in the whole of my life.
Daily Prayer - 2014-07-15
I pause for a moment
Your death on the cross has set me free.
I can live joyously and freely,
without fear of death.
Your mercy knows no bounds.
Sometimes I get overwhelmed by the cares of this world.
At times like these may I be aware
of the comfort of your Presence,
Your infinite love for me.
Then Jesus began to reproach the cities in which most of his deeds of power had been done, because they did not repent. "Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the deeds of power done in you had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes. But I tell you, on the day of judgment it will be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon than for you. And you, Capernaum, will you be exalted to heaven? No, you will be brought down to Hades. For if the deeds of power done in you had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day. But I tell you that on the day of judgment it will be more tolerable for the land of Sodom than for you."
Some thoughts on today's scripture
- We might not feel very comfortable with the idea of Jesus as our judge, who thunders terrible threats on big and powerful cities. We might prefer the nice sayings about love and universal fraternity, for these hard words unsettle us from our self-righteousness. I try to listen to these words as directed to me and my society's way of life. I also ask for the adequate response to this call for conversion.
- Not only individuals but our whole societies are urgently called to conversion. There are too many innocent victims of our ultra liberal way of life, in economics and in our life together, not to make us ask some very painful questions about the way we are organised. I pray for my society, and for its conversion from what I consider the most obnoxious elements in God's eyes. I ask for light to see what part I can play as a responsible citizen.
Jesus often asked questions of those who came to him.
Let me sense him close to me now,
Listening to my prayer and asking
‘How can I help you?’
‘What can I give you?’
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit,
As it was in the beginning,
is now and ever shall be,
world without end.
If you appreciated the daily prayer or have any suggestions or insights we will be glad to hear from you.
- Sacred Space
- Return to the homepage
- Living Space
- Commentaries on the daily readings
- Chapel of Intentions
- Add your Prayer Request and pray for others
- Chapel of Remembrance
- Your prayer for the departed
- Pray with the Pope
- This month's intentions from the Apostleship of Prayer
- What others thought about Sacred Space
- Novena to the Sacred Heart
- Text and audio for nine days
- About Sacred Space
- The origin of the site and using the prayer
- Frequently asked Questions about Sacred Space
- Contact us
- Let us know what you think about Sacred Space