Lord, you are always there
waiting for me.
May I never be too busy to
find time to spend in your presence.
Daily Prayer - 2013-10-16
Lord, you are always there
I try to let go of concerns and worries
that may be dragging me down at this present moment.
I place any concerns I have in Gods hands
- at least for these few minutes of prayer.
Lord, you gave me the night to rest in sleep.
In my waking hours may I not forget your goodness to me.
Guide me to share your blessings with others.
'But woe to you Pharisees! For you tithe mint and rue and herbs of all kinds, and neglect justice and the love of God; it is these you ought to have practised, without neglecting the others. Woe to you Pharisees! For you love to have the seat of honour in the synagogues and to be greeted with respect in the market-places. Woe to you! For you are like unmarked graves, and people walk over them without realizing it.'
One of the lawyers answered him, 'Teacher, when you say these things, you insult us too.' And he said, 'Woe also to you lawyers! For you load people with burdens hard to bear, and you yourselves do not lift a finger to ease them.
Some thoughts on today's scripture
- Jesus was a teacher of the truth, who recognised the guidelines that existed, but he was not confined by them. He wanted to get to what was behind them, what they served.
- Self-importance and drawing attention to oneself was alien to his way, which was one of self-giving. Lord, bring us to the deeper truth of who you are that we may honour and serve you in all we do.
- Roles can take on undue importance. The size of your wage-packet, the number of positions you hold can distract from the deeper truth that Jesus taught. May we have the heart and generosity of the widow at the treasury (Luke 21) to give as Jesus did and to be a support to others in the burdens they carry. We pray to Jesus who set out to lighten burdens, not impose them (Matt 11:28-30).
Jesus, You are always there waiting for me.
Sometimes I get bogged down
with the concerns of this life.
Grant that I may be still more often.
To know Your peace, Your calm.
I thank God for these few moments we have spent alone together and for any insights I may have been given concerning the text.
Prayer for peace:
Following days of rising tensions between Russia and Ukraine, Pope Francis called on Christians around the world to fast and pray for peace in Eastern Europe this coming Ash Wednesday.
“I invite everyone to make March 2, Ash Wednesday, a day of fasting for peace, I encourage believers in a special way to devote themselves intensely to prayer and fasting on that day. May the Queen of Peace protect the world from the folly of war.” Pope Francis, 25/02/2022
If you appreciated the daily prayer or have any suggestions or insights we will be glad to hear from you.
- Sacred Space
- Return to the homepage
- Living Space
- Commentaries on the daily readings
- Chapel of Intentions
- Add your Prayer Request and pray for others
- Chapel of Remembrance
- Your prayer for the departed
- Pray with the Pope
- This month's intentions from the Pope's Worldwide Prayer Network
- About Sacred Space
- The origin of the site and using the prayer
- Frequently asked Questions about Sacred Space