Dear Jesus, I come to you today
longing for your presence.
I desire to love you as You love me.
May nothing ever separate me from You.
Daily Prayer - 2013-07-03
Dear Jesus, I come to you today
God is not foreign to my freedom.
Instead the Spirit breathes life into my most intimate desires,
gently nudging me towards all that is good.
I ask for the grace to let myself be enfolded by the Spirit.
Lord, you are present in all things
And when I take time to simply sit and be with you
My mind rests
And I feel your peace.
But Thomas (who was called the Twin), one of the twelve, was not with them when Jesus came. So the other disciples told him, "We have seen the Lord." But he said to them, "Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands, and put my finger in the mark of the nails and my hand in his side, I will not believe." A week later his disciples were again in the house, and Thomas was with them. Although the doors were shut, Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you." Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here and see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it in my side. Do not doubt but believe." Thomas answered him, "My Lord and my God!" Jesus said to him, "Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have come to believe."
Some thoughts on today's scripture
- We can only imagine how ashamed and angry at themselves the Apostles must have been after their desertion of Jesus. To miss Jesus' apparition must have been the last straw for Thomas. Yet Jesus has no words of reproach but of peace. He accepts Thomas' emotional reaction and gently leads him to one of the finest expressions of faith in the whole of the Gospel: “My Lord and my God”. The Risen Jesus brings peace to troubled hearts, he heals us and leads us to faith. I imagine him taking me gently by the hand and letting me physically feel his presence at my side. What words well from my grateful heart?
- Thomas' anger led him to discover the deep faith he had in Jesus. Sometimes I might be unaware how helpful my strong emotions may be in growing as a person and as a believer. I ask to hear the Risen Jesus' favourite greeting: “Peace be with you”, words that enable me to look deep into my heart.
Dear Lord, help me each day
to seek your presence more and more.
Fill my heart with love for you.
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit,
As it was in the beginning,
is now and ever shall be,
world without end.
If you appreciated the daily prayer or have any suggestions or insights we will be glad to hear from you.
- Sacred Space
- Return to the homepage
- Living Space
- Commentaries on the daily readings
- Chapel of Intentions
- Add your Prayer Request and pray for others
- Chapel of Remembrance
- Your prayer for the departed
- Pray with the Pope
- This month's intentions from the Apostleship of Prayer
- What others thought about Sacred Space
- Novena to the Sacred Heart
- Text and audio for nine days
- About Sacred Space
- The origin of the site and using the prayer
- Frequently asked Questions about Sacred Space
- Contact us
- Let us know what you think about Sacred Space