I pause for a moment and think of the love and the grace that God showers on me, creating me in his image and likeness, making me his temple....
Daily Prayer - 2013-02-06
Lord, you granted me the great gift of freedom.
In these times, O Lord, grant that I may be free
From any form of racism or intolerance.
Remind me, Lord, that we are all equal
in Your Loving eyes.
In God's loving presence I unwind the past day, starting from now and looking back, moment by moment. I gather in all the goodness and light, in gratitude. I attend to the shadows and what they say to me, seeking healing, courage, forgiveness.
Jesus left that place and came to his hometown, and his disciples followed him. On the sabbath he began to teach in the synagogue, and many who heard him were astounded. They said, "Where did this man get all this? What is this wisdom that has been given to him? What deeds of power are being done by his hands! Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary and brother of James and Joses and Judas and Simon, and are not his sisters here with us?" And they took offence at him. Then Jesus said to them, "Prophets are not without honour, except in their hometown, and among their own kin, and in their own house." And he could do no deed of power there, except that he laid his hands on a few sick people and cured them. And he was amazed at their unbelief. Then he went about among the villages teaching.
Some thoughts on today's scripture
- Jesus ‘was amazed at their unbelief’. Do I sometimes amaze God by my unbelief? Do I bring God down to my own small size, so that I am no longer open to wonder? And do I diminish other people? The Irish poet, Patrick Kavanagh, has the challenging line, ‘He had the knack of making men feel as small as they really were, which meant, as great as God had made them.’ Can I do that? Or do I diminish myself, so that I am afraid to use my gifts, afraid to respond when the Holy Spirit prompts me to be kind, to speak out, or to intervene in awkward situations?
- Lord, save me from spoiling the lives of others or my own. Let me amaze you a little by responding more often to the gentle calls of grace!
How has God's Word moved me? Has it left me cold? Has it consoled me or moved me to act in a new way? I imagine Jesus standing or sitting beside me, I turn and share my feelings with him.
I thank God for these few moments we have spent alone together and for any insights I may have been given concerning the text.
If you appreciated the daily prayer or have any suggestions or insights we will be glad to hear from you.
- Sacred Space
- Return to the homepage
- Chapel of Remembrance
- Your prayer for the departed
- Chapel of Intentions
- Add your Prayer Request and pray for others
- Living Space
- Commentaries on the daily readings
- Pray with the Pope
- This month's intentions from the Apostleship of Prayer
- What others thought about Sacred Space
- Novena to the Sacred Heart
- Text and audio for nine days
- Frequently asked Questions about Sacred Space
- Contact us
- Let us know what you think about Sacred Space