Dear Jesus, I come to you today
longing for your presence.
I desire to love you as You love me.
May nothing ever separate me from You.
Daily Prayer - 2012-12-26
Dear Jesus, I come to you today
Lord God I thank you for the gift of freedom.
Help me to use this gift with integrity.
I am free to make choices.
Help me to choose to follow you,
to live in a Christian way by caring for others.
Remind me to consider always those less fortunate than myself,
the oppressed, the prisoner, those who are not free to worship in public.
Guide me always to seek your holy will in all the events of my life.
Jesus, You are always there waiting for me.
Grant that I may be still more often.
That I may always desire to spend time in your presence.
To know Your peace, Your love.
Beware of them, for they will hand you over to councils and flog you in their synagogues; and you will be dragged before governors and kings because of me, as a testimony to them and the Gentiles. When they hand you over, do not worry about how you are to speak or what you are to say; for what you are to say will be given to you at that time; for it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you. Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child, and children will rise against parents and have them put to death; and you will be hated by all because of my name. But the one who endures to the end will be saved.
Some thoughts on today's scripture
- At the first Christmas, we are told, heaven descended to earth and earth ascended to heaven - Jesus joined our life on earth, and through his life, death and eventual rising, the way was opened for his followers among earth’s people to join the life of heaven.
- On 25 December we commemorate the arrival of Jesus on earth – and on the very next day, 26 December, we commemorate that follower of Jesus – Stephen – to first arrive in heaven through martyrdom.
- Jesus despoiled himself of heaven’s glory in order to join our life on earth. And the Christian, in turn, often has to despoil himself or herself of earth’s privileges, even (in martyrdom) of the freedom to live – in order to be worthy of joining the life of heaven. Martyrdom happened to Stephen, and we cannot rule out its happening to any of us.
- In such a predicament, we will need courage – not just to know how to react in words, but to actually go through the ordeal. However, Jesus assures us that his Spirit – the Spirit who now takes his place on earth – will be with us to give us strength.
Jesus, you always welcomed little children when you walked on this earth.
Teach me to have a childlike trust in you.
To live in the knowledge that you will never abandon me.
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit,
As it was in the beginning,
is now and ever shall be,
world without end.
If you appreciated the daily prayer or have any suggestions or insights we will be glad to hear from you.
- Sacred Space
- Return to the homepage
- Living Space
- Commentaries on the daily readings
- Chapel of Intentions
- Add your Prayer Request and pray for others
- Chapel of Remembrance
- Your prayer for the departed
- Pray with the Pope
- This month's intentions from the Apostleship of Prayer
- What others thought about Sacred Space
- Novena to the Sacred Heart
- Text and audio for nine days
- About Sacred Space
- The origin of the site and using the prayer
- Frequently asked Questions about Sacred Space
- Contact us
- Let us know what you think about Sacred Space