To help and guide our prayer this year, we are reflecting on The Seven Last Words. These words are the seven last sentences, or phrases, or sayings, uttered by Jesus as he hung on the Cross on Good Friday, as recorded in the Gospels. The text of the retreat has been adapted from the book Seven Last Words, by James Martin SJ, with the kind permission of HarperOne. You will find a new session of the retreat available here each week. Then, you can take the retreat at your own pace, in a place that suits you, using the text and audio to create a time of prayerful attention. Read How to use this Retreat to get started.
- Session 1: “Father, forgive them”
- Session 2: "Today you will be with me in Paradise"
- Session 3: “Woman…this is your son”
- Session 4: “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”
- Session 5: “I Thirst”
- Session 6: “It is finished.”
- Session 7: “Father, into your hands I commend my spirit.”