“Be still and know that I am God”
Lord, may your spirit guide me
to seek Your Loving presence
more and more. For it is there
I find rest and refreshment from
this busy world.
Daily Prayer - 2018-11-09
“Be still and know that I am God”
"I am free."
When I look at these words in writing,
they seem to create in me a feeling of awe.
Yes, a wonderful feeling of freedom.
Thank you, God.
Lord you have called me ‘the light of the world’.
Let me be always conscious of those you want me to serve,
The hungry and the homeless,
The sick and the destitute,
The stranger and the refugee.
The Passover of the Jews was near, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem. In the temple he found people selling cattle, sheep, and doves, and the money-changers seated at their tables. Making a whip of cords, he drove all of them out of the temple, both the sheep and the cattle. He also poured out the coins of the money-changers and overturned their tables. He told those who were selling the doves, 'Take these things out of here! Stop making my Father's house a market-place!' His disciples remembered that it was written, 'Zeal for your house will consume me.' The Jews then said to him, 'What sign can you show us for doing this?' Jesus answered them, 'Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.' The Jews then said, 'This temple has been under construction for forty-six years, and will you raise it up in three days?' But he was speaking of the temple of his body. After he was raised from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this; and they believed the scripture and the word that Jesus had spoken.
Some thoughts on today's scripture
- The Lateran Basilica is the Pope’s cathedral, and today’s feast reminds of the fact that as believers we are members of the People of God, the universal Church. This can sometimes become a source of frustration and even anger, but it is also the source of so much gratitude and consolation: I received the faith because it was kept alive in the Church, which is the church of sinners but also of saints. May I be able to keep it alive and pass it on to others who come after me. I pray in a special way for Pope Francis and his mission as our universal shepherd.
- Jesus speaks of his body as the temple, a living temple. Saint Peter speaks of us as living stones being built into a spiritual house, around Jesus, the living corner stone. Yet so often we get stuck in dead stones, whether it is in buildings or traditions that are dead, which become more important then being a living stone. May we too, like the disciples, understand these words of Jesus and believe them.
Dear Lord, help me each day
to seek your presence more and more.
Fill my heart with love for you.
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit,
As it was in the beginning,
is now and ever shall be,
world without end.
If you appreciated the daily prayer or have any suggestions or insights we will be glad to hear from you.
- Sacred Space
- Return to the homepage
- Living Space
- Commentaries on the daily readings
- Chapel of Intentions
- Add your Prayer Request and pray for others
- Chapel of Remembrance
- Your prayer for the departed
- Pray with the Pope
- This month's intentions from the Pope's Worldwide Prayer Network
- Add your comment and view the feedback of others about Sacred Space
- Novena to the Sacred Heart
- Text and audio for nine days
- About Sacred Space
- The origin of the site and using the prayer
- Frequently asked Questions about Sacred Space
- Contact us
- Let us know what you think about Sacred Space