Lord, God, my Creator,
Be close to me now.
My soul yearns for your presence.
Daily Prayer - 2018-10-13
Lord, God, my Creator,
Your death on the cross has set me free.
I can live joyously and freely,
without fear of death.
Your mercy knows no bounds.
We all need to take time out from our daily chores.
We know that our bodies need a rest.
When we come into your presence, Lord,
our hearts and minds are refreshed, our spirits lifted.
While he was saying this, a woman in the crowd raised her voice and said to him, "Blessed is the womb that bore you and the breasts that nursed you!" But he said, "Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it!"
Some thoughts on today's scripture
- A beautiful short passage from Luke on blessing. Luke’s gospel is full of blessings, especially in the infancy narrative of the first two chapters. All kinds of people - Zechariah, Elizabeth, Mary, Simeon, Anna - know themselves to be blessed on account of a child - John, Jesus - who is to be born.
- In Luke's nativity accounts, those who are blessed sing for joy. And yet the words of Jesus in his ministry draw us away from this. The gospels are clear about the tension between Jesus and his family, as the one he has learnt to call Father becomes the centre of his life and the source of all blessing.
What feelings are rising in me as I pray and reflect on God's Word?
I imagine Jesus himself sitting or standing near me and open my heart to him.
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit,
As it was in the beginning,
is now and ever shall be,
world without end.
If you appreciated the daily prayer or have any suggestions or insights we will be glad to hear from you.
- Sacred Space
- Return to the homepage
- Living Space
- Commentaries on the daily readings
- Chapel of Intentions
- Add your Prayer Request and pray for others
- Chapel of Remembrance
- Your prayer for the departed
- Pray with the Pope
- This month's intentions from the Pope's Worldwide Prayer Network
- Add your comment and view the feedback of others about Sacred Space
- Novena to the Sacred Heart
- Text and audio for nine days
- About Sacred Space
- The origin of the site and using the prayer
- Frequently asked Questions about Sacred Space
- Contact us
- Let us know what you think about Sacred Space