Lord, God, my Creator,
Be close to me now.
My soul yearns for your presence.
Daily Prayer - 2017-08-16
Lord, God, my Creator,
What most often stops me achieving freedom is my tendency
to be caught up in fears and expectations
about what I 'ought' or 'should' be.
My usual automatic responses tie me down
and inhibit me from exploring new areas of growth.
I ask and pray for a greater sense of inner freedom and
that I might reach the fresh and challenging possibilities
that God wishes me to realise.
Dear Lord help me to be always
aware of the important things in life.
To care for those around me.
To seek your presence in all I meet.
‘If another member of the church sins against you, go and point out the fault when the two of you are alone. If the member listens to you, you have regained that one. But if you are not listened to, take one or two others along with you, so that every word may be confirmed by the evidence of two or three witnesses. If the member refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if the offender refuses to listen even to the church, let such a one be to you as a Gentile and a tax-collector. Truly I tell you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven. Again, truly I tell you, if two of you agree on earth about anything you ask, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. For where two or three are gathered in my name, I am there among them.’
Some thoughts on today's scripture
- Jesus is gently reminding us that by being members of the church community, we are responsible for one another, and one of our tasks of love may be that of correcting our brother or sister who errs. This is never an easy task in our relativistic times, and our advice risks being rejected. Fraternal correction must always be inspired by real charity - it is one of the spiritual works of mercy. I pray to be given this love and the wisdom to find the right way to carry out this task of love.
- Because Jesus shares his own spirit with us, the connection between the community of believers and Jesus is very close: what we bind or loose here is bound or loosed in heaven, and whatever we ask in union will be given to us by the Father. I ask for this insight and for a stronger faith in the presence of Jesus in the midst of the Church.
“Stay and watch with me.”
Your words, Lord, to the disciples
before your suffering and death.
I know, Lord, You will stay and watch over me
all the days of my life.
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit,
As it was in the beginning,
is now and ever shall be,
world without end.
If you appreciated the daily prayer or have any suggestions or insights we will be glad to hear from you.
- Sacred Space
- Return to the homepage
- Living Space
- Commentaries on the daily readings
- Chapel of Intentions
- Add your Prayer Request and pray for others
- Chapel of Remembrance
- Your prayer for the departed
- Pray with the Pope
- This month's intentions from the Apostleship of Prayer
- What others thought about Sacred Space
- Novena to the Sacred Heart
- Text and audio for nine days
- About Sacred Space
- The origin of the site and using the prayer
- Frequently asked Questions about Sacred Space
- Contact us
- Let us know what you think about Sacred Space