God is with me, but more,
God is within me, giving me existence.
Let me dwell for a moment on God's life-giving presence
in my body, my mind, my heart
and in the whole of my life.
Daily Prayer - 2017-06-22
God is with me, but more,
Dear Lord, instil in my heart
the desire to know and love you more.
May I respond to your will for my life.
Conscious of your presence, Lord,
I look over my recent past.
Let me be honest with myself about how I’ve been
And what I’ve done,
Because I know you love truth in the heart
And accept me just as I am.
Jesus said, "When you are praying, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do; for they think that they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him. 'Pray then in this way: Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come. Your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And do not bring us to the time of trial, but rescue us from the evil one. For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you; but if you do not forgive others, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses."
Some thoughts on today's scripture
- Whenever members of the Jewish religion were speaking to God as ‘father’, they were addressing him as father of his people. But a Christian can approach God as her or his heavenly father, because Jesus has raised us all to the new status of sisters and brothers of himself – daughters and sons of the one Father. He has invited us by adoption into the family relationship, calling us family members/‘friends’ – rather than ‘servants’.
- And with this offer comes the offer of entry into the unending God-life. So this, then, has become the longed-for destiny of every Christian – with the Lord’s Prayer becoming the sign of expectation for our glorious future. No wonder the Bible ends with the words, “Come, Lord Jesus” – the plea to him to finally come and fully establish us all in the Father’s kingdom (with no further threat form the evil one or from times of trial).
- The Our Father is the intimate family prayer of the Christian community. The emphasis is not on a whole list of passing needs, but more on ensuring – through forgiveness – that the family-bonds between us are not ruptured.
To communicate we don’t always need to talk.
Can I imagine myself sitting quietly with Jesus?
I looking silently at him and He at me.
How do I feel?
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit,
As it was in the beginning,
is now and ever shall be,
world without end.
If you appreciated the daily prayer or have any suggestions or insights we will be glad to hear from you.
- Sacred Space
- Return to the homepage
- Living Space
- Commentaries on the daily readings
- Chapel of Intentions
- Add your Prayer Request and pray for others
- Chapel of Remembrance
- Your prayer for the departed
- Pray with the Pope
- This month's intentions from the Apostleship of Prayer
- What others thought about Sacred Space
- Novena to the Sacred Heart
- Text and audio for nine days
- About Sacred Space
- The origin of the site and using the prayer
- Frequently asked Questions about Sacred Space
- Contact us
- Let us know what you think about Sacred Space