I pause for a moment
and think of the love and the grace
that God showers on me,
creating me in his image and likeness,
making me his temple....
Daily Prayer - 2017-06-18
I pause for a moment
I try to let go of concerns and worries
that may be dragging me down at this present moment.
I place any concerns I have in Gods hands
- at least for these few minutes of prayer.
In the presence of my loving Creator, I look honestly at my feelings over the last day, the highs, the lows and the level ground. Can I see where the Lord has been present?
I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats of this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh." The Jews then disputed among themselves, saying, "How can this man give us his flesh to eat?" So Jesus said to them, "Very truly, I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood have eternal life, and I will raise them up on the last day; for my flesh is true food and my blood is true drink. Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood abide in me, and I in them. Just as the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so whoever eats me will live because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven, not like that which your ancestors ate, and they died. But the one who eats this bread will live forever."
Some thoughts on today's scripture
- The day before this, on the far shore of the lake, Jesus had fed over five thousand people by multiplying five loaves and two fish. They now gather round him again, looking for more. He tells them that such food cannot last, just like the manna from heaven that Moses gave their ancestors in the desert.
- The true bread which he now offers is his own flesh and blood. Understandably, the people were horrified. Many of his followers, indeed, were to leave him on hearing this.
- Peter and the Twelve, however, remained faithful. They were with him at the Last Supper when he took some bread, blessed it and gave it to them, saying ‘Take it, and eat it, this is my body.’ This is myself. Similarly with the wine. Every time the Eucharist is celebrated, Jesus gives us himself, telling us, ‘Abide in me as I abide in you’ (John 15:4).
Dear Lord, help me each day
to seek your presence more and more.
Fill my heart with love for you.
I thank God for these few moments we have spent alone together and for any insights I may have been given concerning the text.
If you appreciated the daily prayer or have any suggestions or insights we will be glad to hear from you.
- Sacred Space
- Return to the homepage
- Living Space
- Commentaries on the daily readings
- Chapel of Intentions
- Add your Prayer Request and pray for others
- Chapel of Remembrance
- Your prayer for the departed
- Pray with the Pope
- This month's intentions from the Apostleship of Prayer
- What others thought about Sacred Space
- Novena to the Sacred Heart
- Text and audio for nine days
- About Sacred Space
- The origin of the site and using the prayer
- Frequently asked Questions about Sacred Space
- Contact us
- Let us know what you think about Sacred Space