The more we call on the Lord
the more we can feel his Presence.
Day by day he draws us closer
to his loving heart.
Daily Prayer - 2016-06-30
The more we call on the Lord
Thank you God for my freedom
May I use this gift to do what I can
for those who are oppressed or burdened.
My soul longs for your presence, Lord.
When I turn my thoughts to you,
I find peace and contentment.
And after getting into a boat he crossed the sea and came to his own town. And just then some people were carrying a paralyzed man lying on a bed. When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, "Take heart, son; your sins are forgiven." Then some of the scribes said to themselves, "This man is blaspheming." But Jesus, perceiving their thoughts, said, "Why do you think evil in your hearts? For which is easier, to say, 'Your sins are forgiven,' or to say, 'Stand up and walk'? But so that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins" - he then said to the paralytic - "Stand up, take your bed and go to your home." And he stood up and went to his home. When the crowds saw it, they were filled with awe, and they glorified God, who had given such authority to human beings.
Some thoughts on today's scripture
- When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, "Take heart, son; your sins are forgiven." This is indeed the Good News brought to us by Jesus, the news that he asked the Apostles to take to the whole world. I ask myself whether God's mercy is at the centre of my understanding of the Gospel, of God himself. Does my faith enable me to take heart, or to feel discouraged at the sin present around me and within me?
- “When the crowds saw it, they were filled with awe, and they glorified God, who had given such authority to human beings”. By the time the Gospel of Matthew was written the early Church was certain of its God-given power to forgive sins. It is certainly an awesome power, perhaps too big not to scandalise us. Especially because the human beings to whom this power is given are themselves in need of forgiveness. I too give glory to God for his goodness to us.
Lord, I know that when I turn to you there is no need for words.
You can see into my heart.
You know my desires and you know my needs.
I place myself into your hands.
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit,
As it was in the beginning,
is now and ever shall be,
world without end.
If you appreciated the daily prayer or have any suggestions or insights we will be glad to hear from you.
- Sacred Space
- Return to the homepage
- Living Space
- Commentaries on the daily readings
- Chapel of Intentions
- Add your Prayer Request and pray for others
- Chapel of Remembrance
- Your prayer for the departed
- Pray with the Pope
- This month's intentions from the Apostleship of Prayer
- What others thought about Sacred Space
- Novena to the Sacred Heart
- Text and audio for nine days
- About Sacred Space
- The origin of the site and using the prayer
- Frequently asked Questions about Sacred Space
- Contact us
- Let us know what you think about Sacred Space