“Be still and know that I am God”
Lord, may your spirit guide me
to seek Your Loving presence
more and more. For it is there
I find rest and refreshment from
this busy world.
Daily Prayer - 2013-12-18
“Be still and know that I am God”
Lord grant me the grace
to have freedom of the spirit.
Cleanse my heart and soul
so I may live joyously in your love.
Dear Jesus may I always be aware of your presence,
Your power and your Love,
all the days of my life.
Now the birth of Jesus the Messiah took place in this way. When his mother Mary had been engaged to Joseph, but before they lived together, she was found to be with child from the Holy Spirit. Her husband Joseph, being a righteous man and unwilling to expose her to public disgrace, planned to dismiss her quietly. But just when he had resolved to do this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, "Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife, for the child conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. She will bear a son, and you are to name him Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins." All this took place to fulfill what had been spoken by the Lord through the prophet: "Look, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and they shall name him Emmanuel," which means, "God is with us." When Joseph awoke from sleep, he did as the angel of the Lord commanded him; he took her as his wife.
Some thoughts on today's scripture
- Hearing the words to Joseph about Mary’s child, we would first think of a ‘special’ child, in the sense of ‘made over’ to the Lord, as Samuel or Samson was. But reading between the lines, taking into account the scriptural allusions, we find that this child is much more.
- His coming is nothing less than the inauguration of a whole new (although promised) ‘heaven and earth’ shaking epoch in the relationship between God and his people. Forgiveness of sin comes into the picture, so right away the child is accorded divine prerogative as ‘saviour’. But more than individual sin is in question, rather it is the sins of the people, which includes the oppression into which their sins have brought them.
- The child’s title, Emmanuel (God-with-us) designates him as the fulfilment of the promise: “I will be your God and you will be my people”. His will be a royal or leadership presence among his people.
- All these resonances come together for us, as we prepare to revere the newborn child.
Dear Lord help me to be always
aware of the important things in life.
To care for those around me.
To seek your presence in all I meet.
I thank God for these few moments we have spent alone together and for any insights I may have been given concerning the text.
If you appreciated the daily prayer or have any suggestions or insights we will be glad to hear from you.
- Sacred Space
- Return to the homepage
- Living Space
- Commentaries on the daily readings
- Chapel of Intentions
- Add your Prayer Request and pray for others
- Chapel of Remembrance
- Your prayer for the departed
- Pray with the Pope
- This month's intentions from the Apostleship of Prayer
- What others thought about Sacred Space
- Novena to the Sacred Heart
- Text and audio for nine days
- About Sacred Space
- The origin of the site and using the prayer
- Frequently asked Questions about Sacred Space
- Contact us
- Let us know what you think about Sacred Space