Lord, you are always there
waiting for me.
May I never be too busy to
find time to spend in your presence.
Daily Prayer - 2013-12-15
Lord, you are always there
I try to let go of concerns and worries
that may be dragging me down at this present moment.
I place any concerns I have in Gods hands
- at least for these few minutes of prayer.
My soul longs for your presence, Lord.
When I turn my thoughts to you,
I find peace and contentment.
When John heard in prison what the Messiah was doing, he sent word by his disciples and said to him, "Are you the one who is to come, or are we to wait for another?" Jesus answered them, "Go and tell John what you hear and see: the blind receive their sight, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the poor have good news brought to them. And blessed is anyone who takes no offense at me."
Some thoughts on today's scripture
- Two strands run right through the Scriptures whenever people wonder what approach will be taken when the Awaited Of The Lord finally arrives to rule the world. In one strand the dominant idea is that the Messiah will focus on chastisement and correction - where corruption has grown, he will lay an axe to the root of the tree; or he will come armed with a winnowing-fan to separate-out the noxious elements from the good. Although not imposing a regime of penance as such, John the Baptist insisted on high moral standards; and so he might seem to veer towards the stricter view.
- John is unsure, apparently, about the approach taken by Jesus – so he is making inquiries. And the answer of Jesus recalls that other strand where the dominant idea is building up people wherever they are in need of healing. All the miracles listed here are in line with the prophetic vision of Isaiah – where strength and salvation is brought to the people. Having celebrated a Year Of Mercy, we will have often recalled this particular vision.
Words don't come easily to me, Lord.
Look into my heart
and see my longing for peace.
Watch over me, Lord.
I know that you are always by my side.
I thank God for these few moments we have spent alone together and for any insights I may have been given concerning the text.
If you appreciated the daily prayer or have any suggestions or insights we will be glad to hear from you.
- Sacred Space
- Return to the homepage
- Living Space
- Commentaries on the daily readings
- Chapel of Intentions
- Add your Prayer Request and pray for others
- Chapel of Remembrance
- Your prayer for the departed
- Pray with the Pope
- This month's intentions from the Apostleship of Prayer
- What others thought about Sacred Space
- Novena to the Sacred Heart
- Text and audio for nine days
- About Sacred Space
- The origin of the site and using the prayer
- Frequently asked Questions about Sacred Space
- Contact us
- Let us know what you think about Sacred Space