God is with me, but more,
God is within me, giving me existence.
Let me dwell for a moment on God's life-giving presence
in my body, my mind, my heart
and in the whole of my life.
Daily Prayer - 2013-12-15
God is with me, but more,
It is so easy to get caught up
with the trappings of wealth in this life.
Grant, O Lord, that I may be free
from greed and selfishness.
Remind me that the best things in life are free.
Love, laughter, caring and sharing.
Grant, O Lord, that I may be conscious
and grateful for all the good things you have given to me.
May I share my blessings with others always.
When John heard in prison what the Messiah was doing, he sent word by his disciples and said to him, "Are you the one who is to come, or are we to wait for another?" Jesus answered them, "Go and tell John what you hear and see: the blind receive their sight, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the poor have good news brought to them. And blessed is anyone who takes no offense at me."
Some thoughts on today's scripture
- Two strands run right through the Scriptures whenever people wonder what approach will be taken when the Awaited Of The Lord finally arrives to rule the world. In one strand the dominant idea is that the Messiah will focus on chastisement and correction - where corruption has grown, he will lay an axe to the root of the tree; or he will come armed with a winnowing-fan to separate-out the noxious elements from the good. Although not imposing a regime of penance as such, John the Baptist insisted on high moral standards; and so he might seem to veer towards the stricter view.
- John is unsure, apparently, about the approach taken by Jesus – so he is making inquiries. And the answer of Jesus recalls that other strand where the dominant idea is building up people wherever they are in need of healing. All the miracles listed here are in line with the prophetic vision of Isaiah – where strength and salvation is brought to the people. Having celebrated a Year Of Mercy, we will have often recalled this particular vision.
What is stirring in me as I pray?
Am I consoled, troubled, left cold?
I imagine Jesus himself standing or sitting at my side and share my feelings with him.
I thank God for these few moments we have spent alone together and for any insights I may have been given concerning the text.
If you appreciated the daily prayer or have any suggestions or insights we will be glad to hear from you.
- Sacred Space
- Return to the homepage
- Living Space
- Commentaries on the daily readings
- Chapel of Intentions
- Add your Prayer Request and pray for others
- Chapel of Remembrance
- Your prayer for the departed
- Pray with the Pope
- This month's intentions from the Apostleship of Prayer
- What others thought about Sacred Space
- Novena to the Sacred Heart
- Text and audio for nine days
- About Sacred Space
- The origin of the site and using the prayer
- Frequently asked Questions about Sacred Space
- Contact us
- Let us know what you think about Sacred Space