I pause for a moment
and reflect on God's life-giving presence
in every part of my body, in everything around me,
in the whole of my life.
Daily Prayer - 2013-12-14
I pause for a moment
Dear Lord, instil in my heart
the desire to know and love you more.
May I respond to your will for my life.
Help me Lord to be more conscious of your presence.
Teach me to recognise your presence in others.
Fill my heart with gratitude for the times Your love has been shown to me through the care of others.
As they were coming down the mountain, Jesus ordered them, ‘Tell no one about the vision until after the Son of Man has been raised from the dead.’ And the disciples asked him, ‘Why, then, do the scribes say that Elijah must come first?’ He replied, ‘Elijah is indeed coming and will restore all things; but I tell you that Elijah has already come, and they did not recognize him, but they did to him whatever they pleased. So also the Son of Man is about to suffer at their hands.’ Then the disciples understood that he was speaking to them about John the Baptist.
Some thoughts on today's scripture
- The Jewish faith looked forward to the ‘last days’ or End Time when the Lord would come in glory and finally wrap up the affairs of this world. And a conviction had arisen that the approach of the End Time would be signalled by a forerunner - the figure of the larger than life prophet Elijah would make a renewed appearance.
- Since shortly before this scene Jesus’ disciples had a vision of Jesus transfigured in glory and flanked by Moses and Elijah, obviously the latter was still on their minds. So they ask Jesus for confirmation regarding the role of Elijah as forerunner of the End Time.
- Jesus’ reply was unexpected in more ways than one - the real forerunner is John the Baptist - he has been badly treated - and this will also be the fate of Jesus himself.
- The coming of Jesus was meant to bring about the kingdom of God on earth with the offer of salvation for all; but the people struck out against the bearer of the message.
- By our prayer this Christmas, we ourselves can ensure that the newly born Jesus is welcome in our lives - even if his message turns some of our values on their head.
To communicate we don’t always need to talk.
Can I imagine myself sitting quietly with Jesus?
I looking silently at him and He at me.
How do I feel?
I thank God for these few moments we have spent alone together and for any insights I may have been given concerning the text.
If you appreciated the daily prayer or have any suggestions or insights we will be glad to hear from you.
- Sacred Space
- Return to the homepage
- Living Space
- Commentaries on the daily readings
- Chapel of Intentions
- Add your Prayer Request and pray for others
- Chapel of Remembrance
- Your prayer for the departed
- Pray with the Pope
- This month's intentions from the Apostleship of Prayer
- What others thought about Sacred Space
- Novena to the Sacred Heart
- Text and audio for nine days
- About Sacred Space
- The origin of the site and using the prayer
- Frequently asked Questions about Sacred Space
- Contact us
- Let us know what you think about Sacred Space