The more we call on God
the more we can feel God's presence.
Day by day we are drawn closer
to the loving heart of God.
Daily Prayer - 2013-10-08
The more we call on God
"I am free."
When I look at these words in writing
They seem to create in me a feeling of awe.
Yes, a wonderful feeling of freedom.
Thank You, God.
Knowing that God loves me unconditionally,
I can afford to be honest about how I am.
How has the last day been, and how do I feel now?
I share my feelings openly with the Lord.
Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a certain village, where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. She had a sister named Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to what he was saying. But Martha was distracted by her many tasks; so she came to him and asked, "Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to do all the work by myself? Tell her then to help me." But the Lord answered her, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things; there is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part, which will not be taken away from her."
Some thoughts on today's scripture
- Some scripture scholars remark that this gospel is less about work versus prayer and more about breaking boundaries. They understand that sitting at Jesus’ feet or, listening to any rabbi was reserved for men only. They in turn would become teachers of faith. But here, Mary has stepped out of the traditional role when she should be in the women’s quarters and Jesus fully approves, inviting Martha to do the same.
- In the traditional interpretation of this gospel, prayer and action are pitted against each other. Or, we could see it as food versus the communion of spirits. We can afford to do with less food or, to go without food for a time. We can never afford to be unaware of the deeper mysteries. Sometimes we go the opposite way. We don’t miss a meal but we do forget to stop for a few moments to dip into the depths of being quiet and totally present?
May your Holy Spirit guide me
In all my dealings with others.
May I use the gift of speech with kindness.
I thank God for these few moments we have spent alone together and for any insights I may have been given concerning the text.
If you appreciated the daily prayer or have any suggestions or insights we will be glad to hear from you.
- Sacred Space
- Return to the homepage
- Living Space
- Commentaries on the daily readings
- Chapel of Intentions
- Add your Prayer Request and pray for others
- Chapel of Remembrance
- Your prayer for the departed
- Pray with the Pope
- This month's intentions from the Apostleship of Prayer
- What others thought about Sacred Space
- Novena to the Sacred Heart
- Text and audio for nine days
- About Sacred Space
- The origin of the site and using the prayer
- Frequently asked Questions about Sacred Space
- Contact us
- Let us know what you think about Sacred Space