Dear Lord as I come to you today
Fill my heart and my whole being
with the wonder of Your presence
Daily Prayer - 2013-10-02
Dear Lord as I come to you today
Lord, I let go of the worries, resentments and fears
That I can sometimes hold on to so tightly.
Let me open my hands and my heart to receive freely
All the gifts that I need at this time.
We all need to take time out from our daily chores.
We know that our bodies need a rest.
When we come into your presence, Lord,
our hearts and minds are refreshed, our spirits lifted.
As they were going along the road, someone said to him, "I will follow you wherever you go." And Jesus said to him, "Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head." To another he said, "Follow me." But he said, "Lord, first let me go and bury my father." But Jesus said to him, "Let the dead bury their own dead; but as for you, go and proclaim the kingdom of God." Another said, "I will follow you, Lord; but let me first say farewell to those at my home." Jesus said to him, "No one who puts a hand to the plough and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God."
Some thoughts on today's scripture
- In this passage from Luke, people admire Jesus and are inspired by him and so, “I will follow you,” they say. But they remind him that they have their own concerns to deal with first. Jesus asks them if they really know what it means to follow him.
- We celebrate the feast of Saint Francis of Assisi today. His name lives on because he knew what the call of Jesus meant. He understood the inner voice that called him to rebuild the church. He left his wealth to become poor among the poor. He rebuilt a community that was in love with nature and shone with child-like simplicity.
- Are we are inspired by how Francis totally handed himself over to the call of Jesus? When we die, we will have no choice but to do the same. But to what degree can we hand ourselves over to Jesus now? Can those practical concerns of family ties and work become a path rather than a block to following the Lord? Can we inspire others by the way we relate to them and the way we go about our daily tasks? How close can we get now, to being like Francis who followed Jesus?
I begin to talk to Jesus about the piece of scripture I have just read.
What part of it strikes a chord in me? Perhaps the words of a friend - or some story I have heard recently - will slowly rise to the surface in my consciousness. If so, does the story throw light on what the scripture passage may be trying to say to me?
I thank God for these few moments we have spent alone together and for any insights I may have been given concerning the text.
If you appreciated the daily prayer or have any suggestions or insights we will be glad to hear from you.
- Sacred Space
- Return to the homepage
- Living Space
- Commentaries on the daily readings
- Chapel of Intentions
- Add your Prayer Request and pray for others
- Chapel of Remembrance
- Your prayer for the departed
- Pray with the Pope
- This month's intentions from the Apostleship of Prayer
- What others thought about Sacred Space
- Novena to the Sacred Heart
- Text and audio for nine days
- About Sacred Space
- The origin of the site and using the prayer
- Frequently asked Questions about Sacred Space
- Contact us
- Let us know what you think about Sacred Space