Dear Lord as I come to you today
Fill my heart and my whole being
with the wonder of your presence.
Daily Prayer - 2013-09-05
Dear Lord as I come to you today
Lord, I pray for your gift of freedom.
May your Holy Spirit
guide those in power to work for
equality for all your people.
Dear Lord help me to be always
aware of the important things in life.
To care for those around me.
To seek your presence in all I meet.
Once while Jesus was standing beside the lake of Gennesaret, and the crowd was pressing in on him to hear the word of God, he saw two boats there at the shore of the lake; the fishermen had gone out of them and were washing their nets. He got into one of the boats, the one belonging to Simon, and asked him to put out a little way from the shore. Then he sat down and taught the crowds from the boat. When he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, 'Put out into the deep water and let down your nets for a catch.' Simon answered, 'Master, we have worked all night long but have caught nothing. Yet if you say so, I will let down the nets.' When they had done this, they caught so many fish that their nets were beginning to break. So they signalled to their partners in the other boat to come and help them. And they came and filled both boats, so that they began to sink. But when Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus' knees, saying, 'Go away from me, Lord, for I am a sinful man!' For he and all who were with him were amazed at the catch of fish that they had taken; and so also were James and John, sons of Zebedee, who were partners with Simon. Then Jesus said to Simon, 'Do not be afraid; from now on you will be catching people.' When they had brought their boats to shore, they left everything and followed him.
Some thoughts on today's scripture
- 'Put out into the deep water and let your nets down for a catch'. This was the motto Saint John Paul II chose for the Church in the third millenium. I pray for the trust Peter had when faced with this stark command, that seemingly did not make much sense. I ask this grace for the whole Church, that the community of believers may be full of courage as it carries out its mission to take the Gospel to the whole world.
- I ponder on Jesus' response to Peter's confession of himself as a sinner. 'Do not be afraid: from now on you will be catching people'. Peter is given his mission when he realises his sinfulness: this insight actually makes him a better apostle, for he can understand better those he is sent to, he knows he shares their need for mercy and salvation.
Friends don’t keep secrets from one another.
As I pray, can I look at Jesus as my friend
And share my innermost thoughts with him
Trusting that He understands?
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit,
As it was in the beginning,
is now and ever shall be,
world without end.
If you appreciated the daily prayer or have any suggestions or insights we will be glad to hear from you.
- Sacred Space
- Return to the homepage
- Living Space
- Commentaries on the daily readings
- Chapel of Intentions
- Add your Prayer Request and pray for others
- Chapel of Remembrance
- Your prayer for the departed
- Pray with the Pope
- This month's intentions from the Pope's Worldwide Prayer Network
- Add your comment and view the feedback of others about Sacred Space
- Novena to the Sacred Heart
- Text and audio for nine days
- About Sacred Space
- The origin of the site and using the prayer
- Frequently asked Questions about Sacred Space
- Contact us
- Let us know what you think about Sacred Space