Lord, God, my Creator,
Be close to me now.
My soul yearns for your presence.
Daily Prayer - 2013-05-07
Lord, God, my Creator,
"Leave me here freely all alone
In cell where never sunlight shone
should no one ever speak to me
This golden silence makes me free."
Part of a poem written by a prisoner at Dachau concentration camp
I exist in a web of relationships - links to nature, people, God.
I trace out these links, giving thanks for the life that flows through them.
Some links are twisted or broken: I may feel regret, anger, disappointment.
I pray for the gift of acceptance and forgiveness.
Jesus said, 'Now I am going to him who sent me; yet none of you asks me, "Where are you going?" But because I have said these things to you, sorrow has filled your hearts. Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. And when he comes, he will prove the world wrong about sin and righteousness and judgement: about sin, because they do not believe in me; about righteousness, because I am going to the Father and you will see me no longer; about judgement, because the ruler of this world has been condemned.'
Some thoughts on today's scripture
- The whole purpose of Jesus was to awaken in us the realisation that we are sons and daughters of God (by grace); co-heirs to God’s kingdom with Him. “We are children of God, and if children, then heirs, heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ” (Romans 8:17).
- A really successful master/teacher makes his pupils masters in their own right. Jesus tells his disciples “it is to your advantage that I go away”, so that they will discover in themselves the guidance and inspiration of the Holy Spirit who guided him. This Spirit will show up in the shortcomings of the world, lead it into right relationship with God and others, and convince it that love alone is the ultimate value on which we all will be judged.
- How is the Holy Spirit enlightening you and guiding you in your life? Do you find that the Spirit shows you what the world lacks, and provides you with a more inclusive integrating vision for humanity?
“Stay and watch with me.”
Your words, Lord, to the disciples
before your suffering and death.
I know, Lord, You will stay and watch over me
all the days of my life.
I thank God for these few moments we have spent alone together and for any insights I may have been given concerning the text.
If you appreciated the daily prayer or have any suggestions or insights we will be glad to hear from you.
- Sacred Space
- Return to the homepage
- Living Space
- Commentaries on the daily readings
- Chapel of Intentions
- Add your Prayer Request and pray for others
- Chapel of Remembrance
- Your prayer for the departed
- Pray with the Pope
- This month's intentions from the Apostleship of Prayer
- What others thought about Sacred Space
- Novena to the Sacred Heart
- Text and audio for nine days
- About Sacred Space
- The origin of the site and using the prayer
- Frequently asked Questions about Sacred Space
- Contact us
- Let us know what you think about Sacred Space