I pause for a moment and think of the love and the grace that God showers on me, creating me in his image and likeness, making me his temple....
Daily Prayer - 2013-02-26
Lord, you created me to live in freedom.
May your Holy Spirit guide me to follow you freely.
Instil in my heart a desire
To know and love you more each day.
In God's loving presence I unwind the past day,
starting from now and looking back, moment by moment.
I gather in all the goodness and light, in gratitude.
I attend to the shadows and what they say to me,
seeking healing, courage, forgiveness.
Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples, "The scribes and the Pharisees sit on Moses' seat; therefore, do whatever they teach you and follow it; but do not do as they do, for they do not practice what they teach. They tie up heavy burdens, hard to bear, and lay them on the shoulders of others; but they themselves are unwilling to lift a finger to move them. They do all their deeds to be seen by others; for they make their phylacteries broad and their fringes long. They love to have the place of honour at banquets and the best seats in the synagogues, and to be greeted with respect in the marketplaces, and to have people call them rabbi. But you are not to be called rabbi, for you have one teacher, and you are all students. And call no one your father on earth, for you have one Father - the one in heaven. Nor are you to be called instructors, for you have one instructor, the Messiah. The greatest among you will be your servant. All who exalt themselves will be humbled, and all who humble themselves will be exalted."
Some thoughts on today's scripture
- In Jesus people saw a whole man. He did not bother about appearing generous, or courageous, or truthful – people quickly saw that he was these things. Lord, I have only to see the history of the church to realise how easily these words are forgotten. Ecclesiastics have exalted themselves, looked for titles and exercised leadership by domination rather than service. I need to come back to the memory of you washing your disciples’ feet. Blessed are those who clean the toilets, put out the garbage, and care for the old and incontinent. We are never as close to God as when we are serving.
How has God's Word moved me? Has it left me cold? Has it consoled me or moved me to act in a new way?
I imagine Jesus standing or sitting beside me, I turn and share my feelings with him.
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be, world without end.
If you appreciated the daily prayer or have any suggestions or insights we will be glad to hear from you.
- Sacred Space
- Return to the homepage
- Chapel of Remembrance
- Your prayer for the departed
- Chapel of Intentions
- Add your Prayer Request and pray for others
- Living Space
- Commentaries on the daily readings
- Pray with the Pope
- This month's intentions from the Apostleship of Prayer
- What others thought about Sacred Space
- Novena to the Sacred Heart
- Text and audio for nine days
- Frequently asked Questions about Sacred Space
- Contact us
- Let us know what you think about Sacred Space