Lord, you are always there
waiting for me.
May I never be too busy to
find time to spend in your presence.
Daily Prayer - 2013-02-26
Lord, you are always there
What most often stops me achieving freedom is my tendency
to be caught up in fears and expectations
about what I 'ought' or 'should' be.
My usual automatic responses tie me down
and inhibit me from exploring new areas of growth.
I ask and pray for a greater sense of inner freedom and
that I might reach the fresh and challenging possibilities
that God wishes me to realise.
As I spend this time with you, Lord,
I am aware of how blessed I truly am.
I think of the love and laughter in my life,
And I feel grateful.
Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples, "The scribes and the Pharisees sit on Moses' seat; therefore, do whatever they teach you and follow it; but do not do as they do, for they do not practice what they teach. They tie up heavy burdens, hard to bear, and lay them on the shoulders of others; but they themselves are unwilling to lift a finger to move them. They do all their deeds to be seen by others; for they make their phylacteries broad and their fringes long. They love to have the place of honour at banquets and the best seats in the synagogues, and to be greeted with respect in the marketplaces, and to have people call them rabbi. But you are not to be called rabbi, for you have one teacher, and you are all students. And call no one your father on earth, for you have one Father - the one in heaven. Nor are you to be called instructors, for you have one instructor, the Messiah. The greatest among you will be your servant. All who exalt themselves will be humbled, and all who humble themselves will be exalted."
Some thoughts on today's scripture
- The Pharisees had great clarity about their beliefs: they allowed their belief in God to speak to them about their own worthiness and to judge the unworthiness of others. Our religious acts and attitudes are our attempts to recognise God’s presence and power. In hearing God’s response, we are rescued from proclaiming ourselves.
- I pray not for certainty, but for humility. I ask God to let me know that, in being least, I can allow God to raise me up – the only promotion that matters!
Lord, you have engraved my name
on the palm of your hand.
Even if others forget me,
you never will.
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit,
As it was in the beginning,
is now and ever shall be,
world without end.
If you appreciated the daily prayer or have any suggestions or insights we will be glad to hear from you.
- Sacred Space
- Return to the homepage
- Living Space
- Commentaries on the daily readings
- Chapel of Intentions
- Add your Prayer Request and pray for others
- Chapel of Remembrance
- Your prayer for the departed
- Pray with the Pope
- This month's intentions from the Apostleship of Prayer
- What others thought about Sacred Space
- Novena to the Sacred Heart
- Text and audio for nine days
- About Sacred Space
- The origin of the site and using the prayer
- Frequently asked Questions about Sacred Space
- Contact us
- Let us know what you think about Sacred Space