The more we call on the Lord
the more we can feel his Presence.
Day by day he draws us closer
to his loving heart.
Daily Prayer - 2013-02-26
The more we call on the Lord
A thick and shapeless tree-trunk
would never believe that it could become a statue,
admired as a miracle of sculpture,
and would never submit itself to the chisel of the sculptor,
who sees by his genius what he can make of it (Saint Ignatius).
I ask for the grace to let myself be shaped by my loving Creator.
In the presence of my loving Creator, I look honestly at my feelings over the last day, the highs, the lows and the level ground. Can I see where the Lord has been present?
Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples, "The scribes and the Pharisees sit on Moses' seat; therefore, do whatever they teach you and follow it; but do not do as they do, for they do not practice what they teach. They tie up heavy burdens, hard to bear, and lay them on the shoulders of others; but they themselves are unwilling to lift a finger to move them. They do all their deeds to be seen by others; for they make their phylacteries broad and their fringes long. They love to have the place of honour at banquets and the best seats in the synagogues, and to be greeted with respect in the marketplaces, and to have people call them rabbi. But you are not to be called rabbi, for you have one teacher, and you are all students. And call no one your father on earth, for you have one Father - the one in heaven. Nor are you to be called instructors, for you have one instructor, the Messiah. The greatest among you will be your servant. All who exalt themselves will be humbled, and all who humble themselves will be exalted."
Some thoughts on today's scripture
- The Pharisees had great clarity about their beliefs: they allowed their belief in God to speak to them about their own worthiness and to judge the unworthiness of others. Our religious acts and attitudes are our attempts to recognise God’s presence and power. In hearing God’s response, we are rescued from proclaiming ourselves.
- I pray not for certainty, but for humility. I ask God to let me know that, in being least, I can allow God to raise me up – the only promotion that matters!
Jesus, You are always there waiting for me.
Sometimes I get bogged down
with the concerns of this life.
Grant that I may be still more often.
To know Your peace, Your calm.
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit,
As it was in the beginning,
is now and ever shall be,
world without end.
If you appreciated the daily prayer or have any suggestions or insights we will be glad to hear from you.
- Sacred Space
- Return to the homepage
- Living Space
- Commentaries on the daily readings
- Chapel of Intentions
- Add your Prayer Request and pray for others
- Chapel of Remembrance
- Your prayer for the departed
- Pray with the Pope
- This month's intentions from the Apostleship of Prayer
- What others thought about Sacred Space
- Novena to the Sacred Heart
- Text and audio for nine days
- About Sacred Space
- The origin of the site and using the prayer
- Frequently asked Questions about Sacred Space
- Contact us
- Let us know what you think about Sacred Space