The more we call on God
the more we can feel God's presence.
Day by day we are drawn closer
to the loving heart of God.
Daily Prayer - 2013-02-16
The more we call on God
Lord I ask for the grace to know
That doing your will is a joy
Because your will is my deepest desire
And you are always willing what is best for me.
I ask how I am within myself today?
Am I particularly tired, stressed, or off-form?
If any of these characteristics apply,
can I try to let go of the concerns that disturb me?
After this he went out and saw a tax collector named Levi, sitting at the tax booth; and he said to him, "Follow me." And he got up, left everything, and followed him. Then Levi gave a great banquet for him in his house; and there was a large crowd of tax collectors and others sitting at the table with them. The Pharisees and their scribes were complaining to his disciples, saying, "Why do you eat and drink with tax collectors and sinners?" Jesus answered, "Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick; I have come to call not the righteous but sinners to repentance."
Some thoughts on today's scripture
- Before Jesus ever arrived on earth, there were different opinions regarding what the Saviour or Messiah might be like: one particular thought was that he was coming to settle accounts with wrong-doers, to bring judgment and correction. But then Jesus did arrive, and – while not omitting warnings and reprimands – he assured us that he was here to bring healing to broken humanity: This explains today’s statement, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick”.
- This also explains the outreach of Jesus towards individuals like Matthew/Levi the publican – who had ‘gone over’ to the occupying power of Rome, as collector of the public taxes; or towards individuals whose religious observances fell short; or towards those whose lives were marked by moral lapses. To them all, Jesus was throwing open the gates of welcome – throwing a party, if you like. Maybe this party is the wider background to the banquet being held in Levi’s house.
- Of course, Jesus often talked not only about banquets or receptions or parties – he also about invited quests who wouldn’t bother to come. But Levi is a kind of ‘model invitee’: when Jesus extended the invitation to be of his company, Levi’s response was instantaneous.
Dear Lord help me to be always
aware of the important things in life.
To care for those around me.
To seek your presence in all I meet.
I thank God for these few moments we have spent alone together and for any insights I may have been given concerning the text.
If you appreciated the daily prayer or have any suggestions or insights we will be glad to hear from you.
- Sacred Space
- Return to the homepage
- Living Space
- Commentaries on the daily readings
- Chapel of Intentions
- Add your Prayer Request and pray for others
- Chapel of Remembrance
- Your prayer for the departed
- Pray with the Pope
- This month's intentions from the Apostleship of Prayer
- What others thought about Sacred Space
- Novena to the Sacred Heart
- Text and audio for nine days
- About Sacred Space
- The origin of the site and using the prayer
- Frequently asked Questions about Sacred Space
- Contact us
- Let us know what you think about Sacred Space