Dear Jesus, I come to you today
longing for your presence.
I desire to love you as You love me.
May nothing ever separate me from You.
Daily Prayer - 2012-12-26
Dear Jesus, I come to you today
Dear Lord, instil in my heart
the desire to know and love you more.
May I respond to your will for my life.
We all need to take time out from our daily chores.
We know that our bodies need a rest.
When we come into your presence, Lord,
our hearts and minds are refreshed, our spirits lifted.
Beware of them, for they will hand you over to councils and flog you in their synagogues; and you will be dragged before governors and kings because of me, as a testimony to them and the Gentiles. When they hand you over, do not worry about how you are to speak or what you are to say; for what you are to say will be given to you at that time; for it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you. Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child, and children will rise against parents and have them put to death; and you will be hated by all because of my name. But the one who endures to the end will be saved.
Some thoughts on today's scripture
- At the first Christmas, we are told, heaven descended to earth and earth ascended to heaven - Jesus joined our life on earth, and through his life, death and eventual rising, the way was opened for his followers among earth’s people to join the life of heaven.
- On 25 December we commemorate the arrival of Jesus on earth – and on the very next day, 26 December, we commemorate that follower of Jesus – Stephen – to first arrive in heaven through martyrdom.
- Jesus despoiled himself of heaven’s glory in order to join our life on earth. And the Christian, in turn, often has to despoil himself or herself of earth’s privileges, even (in martyrdom) of the freedom to live – in order to be worthy of joining the life of heaven. Martyrdom happened to Stephen, and we cannot rule out its happening to any of us.
- In such a predicament, we will need courage – not just to know how to react in words, but to actually go through the ordeal. However, Jesus assures us that his Spirit – the Spirit who now takes his place on earth – will be with us to give us strength.
Sometimes I wonder what I might say if I were to meet you in person Lord.
I think I might say "Thank You Lord" for always being there for me.
I know with certainty there were times when you carried me, Lord.
When it was through your strength I got through the dark times in my life.
I thank God for these few moments we have spent alone together and for any insights I may have been given concerning the text.
If you appreciated the daily prayer or have any suggestions or insights we will be glad to hear from you.
- Sacred Space
- Return to the homepage
- Living Space
- Commentaries on the daily readings
- Chapel of Intentions
- Add your Prayer Request and pray for others
- Chapel of Remembrance
- Your prayer for the departed
- Pray with the Pope
- This month's intentions from the Apostleship of Prayer
- What others thought about Sacred Space
- Novena to the Sacred Heart
- Text and audio for nine days
- About Sacred Space
- The origin of the site and using the prayer
- Frequently asked Questions about Sacred Space
- Contact us
- Let us know what you think about Sacred Space