A call to prayer for peace
Pope Francis called for prayer and action for peace in the human community, inviting us to give special time to prayer on Saturday 7 September. The date has some significance as Catholic tradition celebrates Mary’s birthday on the following day, 8 September, and we might consider how the devotional title ‘Queen of Peace’ is used to honour her.
You who pray with Sacred Space come from many nations, languages and political divisions. As we hear the Pope’s call to prayer, we can continue to join together, being generous and giving extra time to prayer - encouraged, perhaps, by the response to the Pope's invitation on Saturday 7 September. We can see how we might give ‘quality time’ – time which could well have been spent on some other worthwhile activity or relaxation. The Lord loves the cheerful giver, as Saint Paul says (2 Corinthians 9:7), and will not be outdone in generosity.
How might you best spend time in such prayer?
- Pray the Prayer of Saint Francis slowly, over and over, noticing what living in God’s peace means to you.
- Use a prayer for peace such as that used in the Eucharist:
- Deliver us, Lord, from every evil, and grant us peace in our day. In your mercy keep us free from sin and protect us from all anxiety as we wait in joyful hope for the coming of our Saviour, Jesus Christ. Lord Jesus Christ, you said to your apostles: I leave you peace, my peace I give you. Look not on our sins, but on the faith of your Church, and grant us the peace and unity of your kingdom, where you live for ever and ever.
- Prayerfully sit with the three divine persons as they contemplate our tragic and broken world, and join your hearts with theirs.
- You might settle into prayer and simply yearn that God’s intention for peace in the world might prevail.
- You might ask ‘What can I do to build good relationships in my area of life?' (The Pope calls for fasting, dialogue, reconciliation, and loving gestures. Surely there is something the Holy Spirit may be prompting you to do?
- You might choose from some of the texts in our Prayer for Peace on Earth.